Open Water Diver course is the world’s most popular and recognised recreational scuba diving course. This course is where your adventurous and exciting journey to the underwater world starts. Through the different components of the course planned out for you, you will be geared with essential scuba diving knowledge and skills that enables you to dive with ease and comfort. Get your scuba diving licence with SSI Open Water Diver course and dive into the world of wonders!
Why learn the Open Water Diver course?
SSI Open Water Diver course is one of the world’s most sought after licence. It is your life long ticket to the aquatic world. Taking the Open Water Diver course will ensure that you are equipped with essential fundamental knowledge and skills to dive safely and comfortably underwater. To have fun, you always have to be safe first!
- Immerse in an interactive training on the fundamental principles of scuba diving
- Acquire a full understanding and knowledge in exploring the world below the waves
- Equip yourself fundamental scuba diving skills and techniques needed to navigate effortlessly during the dives
- Ability to do open water dives with a maximum depth of 18 metres
- Joining a community of scuba divers worldwide
Register a SSI account now to get free access to our Scuba Diver digital manual! Scuba Diver digital manual consists of the first three chapters of the Open Water Diver digital manual. Start reading and find out more on the knowledge that are covered in this course.
During the Open Water Diver course, you will learn:
- The relationship and connection between your body and the aquatic environment
- Understanding the use of the Total Diving System and how to assemble
- Understanding pressure-related sickness and injuries
- Equalisation techniques
- Fundamental scuba diving skills and techniques (surface and underwater)
- Emergency ascent skills
- Buoyancy practice
- Underwater tour
- Proper dive logging
With the Open Water Diver licence, you are able to:
- Dive up to 18 metres with a dive buddy
- Sign up for leisure dive trips and start clocking your dives and experience to earn SSI free recognition licence
- Advanced your scuba diving knowledge skills by signing up for Advanced Adventurer or our series of specialty courses
Open Water Diver Course
- Minimum age of 10 years old
- No certification prerequisites
- Able to swim for at least 200 metres without assistance (or 300 metres with mask, snorkel and fins)
- Able to tread or float on water surface for at least 10 minutes without swimming aids
- Complete all section reviews in the Open Water Diver digital manual
- Pass the final exam with a minimum score of 80%
- Pool or confined water training sessions (max. depth of 5 metres)
- Open water training sessions (max. depth of 18 metres)
- Suggested duration of 16 to 32 hours
- Actual duration is dependable on your scuba diving centre (city based or island based)
Congratulations for getting your Open Water Diver licence! Isn’t it an awesome experience diving with the marine life? Remember, your journey does not just stop here, it is only the start. To truly enjoy scuba diving and its wonders, you will have to advance your education and expose yourself to different kind of diving environments and improve your skills, techniques and buoyancy. Practice makes perfect!
SSI Advanced Adventurer course is one way to advance your knowledge and skills. A course consisting of 5 adventure dives, it is designed to put together a variety of specialties of your own choice before you commit to the full specialty course. Two of the most popular adventure dives are deep and night!
Felt like your buoyancy still needs plenty of practice to master it? SSI Perfect Buoyancy course is definitely the one. A confined water specialty course, it teaches you the skills and concepts required to improve your diving position, increase your buoyancy control, and minimize your breathing gas consumption rate. Perfect for you!
Introducing to you one of the most popular specialties in the world that divers go for, Enriched Air Nitrox course! SSI Enriched Air Nitrox teaches the skills and concepts required to safely dive using enriched air mixtures of 32% or 40% oxygen. So instead of the compressed air you have been trained on, you will learn how to handle mixtures with higher percentage of oxygen.
Specialties versus advanced adventurer
SSI’s training philosophy strongly believes in pushing students the route of specialty versus Advanced Adventurer after their Open Water Diver licence. The reason why minimum licence required to do specialty is Open Water Diver. By going through the full specialty, students are given the necessary time, focus and practice to gain more in-depth knowledge and skills for the specific area of specialty compared to Advanced Adventurer which is one introductory dive per specialty. Therefore if you are looking forward to experience the deep and night adventure dives of Advanced Adventurer, how about considering the full specialty instead?
SSI Deep Diving licence is an open water based specialty that requires at least 3 deep dives to complete, with a minimum training depth of 18 metres and maximum depth of up to 40 metres. This course provides the skills and concepts required to safely and comfortably dive beyond 18 metres. After going through the course, you should be fully capable of doing deep dives at ease!
Experience the thrills and excitement a night dive offers! SSI Night & Limited Visibility licence is an open water based specialty that requires at least 2 dives to complete. This course provides the skills and concepts required to safely and comfortably dive at night or in limited visibility conditions.